Dr. Mandelaris attended the University of Michigan from undergraduate through dental school. In 1999, he completed a three-year post-graduate residency program in Periodontology at the University of Louisville, School of Dentistry, where he also obtained a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Oral Biology. Dr. Mandelaris is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and has served as an examiner for Part II (oral examination) of the American Board of Periodontology certification process. He has served as an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Louisiana State University, School of Dentistry (New Orleans, LA) and, currently, is an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Graduate Periodontics at the University of Illinois, College of Dentistry (Chicago, IL) as well as the University of Michigan, School of Dentistry, Department of Graduate Periodontics (Ann Arbor, MI). Dr. Mandelaris is a Fellow in both the American and International College of Dentists.
Dr. Mandelaris serves as an ad-hoc reviewer for the Journal of Periodontology, the International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry, and the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants. He has published in several peer-reviewed journals and has contributed several chapters in six different textbooks used worldwide on subjects related to computer guided implantology, CT diagnostics and, most recently, Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy (a forthcoming book to be published by Quintessence which he co-edited and authored the chapter on surgical therapy). In 2014, he was one of 52 periodontists worldwide selected to participate in the American Academy of Periodontology’s commissioned Periodontal Regenerative Medicine World Workshop on Emerging Regenerative Approaches for Periodontal Reconstruction.
A nationally recognized expert, he was appointed by the American Academy of Periodontology to co-chair the 2016 Best Evidence Consensus Workshop on the use of CBCT Imaging in Periodontics as well as co-author the academy guidelines. In 2017, he was one of the recipients of the American Academy of Periodontology’s Clinical Research Award (an award given to the most outstanding scientific published article with direct clinical relevance in periodontics). Dr. Mandelaris is a Past President of the Illinois Society of Periodontists and has served on several committees for the American Academy of Periodontology. He holds memberships in many professional organizations, most recently including the American Academy of Restorative Dentistry and American Society of Bone and Mineral Research.
Dr. Mandelaris is in private practice at Periodontal Medicine Surgical Specialists in Chicago, Park Ridge and Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois. He limits his practice to Periodontology, Dental Implant Surgery, Bone Reconstruction and Tissue Engineering Surgery. He can be reached at 630-627-3930 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinical Textbook Chapters
• Mandelaris GA. Chapter TBD. SFOT Surgery. In: Mandelaris GA, Vence BS, Roblee RD. Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy. Chicago: Quintessence 2016. (in progress for 2018 publication date)
• Mandelaris GA, DeGroot BS. Shah B. Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy (SFOT). In: Nares S. Advances in Periodontal Surgery – A Clinical Guide to Techniques and Interdisciplinary Approaches. Ames: Wiley-Blackwell. 2018
• Mandelaris GA, DeGroot BS. The evolution of imaging and associate applications for implant surgery. In: Nevins M, Wang HL. Clinical Evolution in Implantology (for Optimum Patient Benefits). Chicago: Quintessence 2018
• Mandelaris GA, Angelopoulos C, Jacobs R, Levine RA, Scarfe WC. Alveolar Bone Reconstruction for Dental Implants. In: Angelopoulos C, Scarffe WC. Maxillofacial Cone Beam Computed Tomography: Principles, Techniques and Clinical Applications. Springer 2017.
• Gibson CF, Mandelaris GA. Restoration of the anterior segment in a cleft palate in conjunction with surgically facilitated orthodontic therapy. An Interdisciplinary Approach. In: Dental Clinics of North America. Modern Concepts in Aesthetic Dentistry and Multi-disciplined Reconstructive Grand Grounds. 2015; 59(3): 733-753.
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. CAD/CAM Surgical Guidance Using Cone Beam Computed Tomography. Chapter 9. Pages 146-197. In: Sarment D. CBCT for dental and maxillofacial applications. Ames: Wiley-Blackwell. 2014
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. Bone Anatomy. Chapter 2. pgs:14-34 In: Sonick M, Hwang D. Implant Site Development. Ames: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2012
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL, Tardieu PB. Chapter 8. Clinical Cases. Pages 113-178. In: Tardieu PB, Rosenfeld AL. The Art of Computer Guided Implantology. Chicago: Quintessence 2009.
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. SurgiGuide Options. Chapter 6. Pages 67-88. In: Tardieu PB, Rosenfeld AL. The Art of Computer Guided Implantology. Chicago: Quintessence 2009.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
• Stefanelli VL, DeGroot BS, Lipton DI, Mandelaris GA. Accuracy of a Dynamic Dental Implant Navigation System in a Private Practice. Submitted to Int J Oral Maxillofac Impl. February 2018
• Zimmo N, Saleh MHA, Sinjab K, Wang C-W, Mandelaris GA, Wang H-L. Corticotomy-Assisted Orthodontics for Canine Distalization: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical Outcome Trials. J Int Acad Periodontol 2018; 20(0):1-10
• Mandelaris GA, Stefanelli V, DeGroot B. Dynamic Navigation for Surgical Implant Placement. Overview of Technology, Key Concepts and a Case Report. Accepted to Compend Contin Educ Dent. Aug 2018
• Mandelaris GA, DeGroot BS, Relle R, Shah B, Huang I, Vence BS. Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy (SFOT). Optimizing dentoalveolar bone and space appropriation for facially-prioritized interdisciplinary dentofacial therapy. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2018; 39(3): 146-156
• Mandelaris GA, Vence BS, Relle R, Shah B, Huang I, DeGroot B. Surgically Facilaited Orthodontic Therapy (SFOT). Optimizing dentoalveolar bone and space appropriation for facially-prioritized interdisciplinary dentofacial therapy. Accepted to Compend Contin Educ Dent. March 2018
• Mandelaris GA, Neiva R, Chambrone L. American Academy of Periodontology Best Evidence Consensus on Cone Beam Computed Tomography and Interdisciplinary Dentofacial Therapy. A Systematic Review Focusing on Risk Assessment for Dentoalveolar Bone Changes Influenced by Tooth Movement. Accepted for publication to Journal of Periodontology 2017; 88(10) 960-977
• Mandelaris GA, Scheyer ET, Evans M, Kim D, McAllister B, Nevinsm ML, Rios H, Sarment D. American Academy of Periodontology’s Best Evidence Consensus Statement on Selected Oral Applications for Cone Beam Computed Tomography. Accepted for publication to Journal of Periodontology 2017; 88(10): 939-945
• Zimmo N, Saleh MH, Mandelaris GA, Chan HL, Wang HL. Corticotomy Accelerated Orthodontics: A Comprehensive Review and Update. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2017; 38(1): 1-11
• Polack MA, Scheyer ET, Murphy KG, Arzadon JM, Rosenfeld AL, Mandelaris GA. A report of five cases from an ongoing prospective clinical study on a novel pink biomimetic implant system. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2017; 38(1): 2-19
• Scheyer ET, Heard R, Janakievski J, Mandelaris GA, Nevins M, Pickering S, Richardson C, Pope B, Toback G, Velasquez D. A randomized, controlled, multi-center clinical trial of post-extraction alveolar ridge preservation. J Clin Periodontol 2016; 43(12):1188-1199
• DeGroot BS, Mandelaris GA. Restorative leadership in the era of digital technology. Inside Dentistry 2016; 12(9): 2-5
•Mandelaris GA. Restorative leadership in the digital era of implantology. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2016, 37(7): 488-491
• Mandelaris GA, Spagnoli DB, Rosenfeld AL, McKee J, Lu M. Tissue engineering for lateral ridge augmentation with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) combination therapy. A case report. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2015; 35(3): 325-333
• Rios HF, Bashutski JD, McAllister BS, Murakami S, Cobb CM, Chun YH, Lin Z, Mandelaris GA, Cochran DL. Emerging Regenerative Approaches for Periodontal Reconstruction: Practical Applications From the AAP Regeneration Workshop. Clin Adv Periodontics 2015; 5:40-46
• Cochran DL, Cobb CM, Bashutski JD, Chun YH, Lin Z, Mandelaris GA, McAllister BS, Rios HF. Emerging Regenerative Approaches for Periodontal Reconstruction: A Consensus Report. J Periodontol 2015;86 (Suppl.):193-196
• Mandelaris GA, Lu M. A clinical, histologic and histomorphometric evaluation of demineralized bone matrix allograft putty for extraction socket preservation prior to implant placement: A case series featuring two core biopsies from one grafted socket with CBCT imaging. Dentistry Today 2015; April; 15:43; CE 184; 1-16
• Mandelaris GA, Vlk SD. Guided implant surgery with placement of a pre-surgical CAD/CAM fabricated custom abutment and provisional in the esthetic zone: Case report of the one-abutment, one-time concept in the digital era. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2014; 35(7): 494-504
• Testori T, Robiony M, Parenti A, Luongo G, Rosenfeld AL, Ganz SD, Mandelaris GA, Del Fabbro M. Evaluation of accuracy and precision of a new guided surgery system: a multicenter clinical study. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2014; 34(suppl):s59-s69
• Baumgarten H, Mandelaris GA, Levin BP. 3-D Imaging: Changing the Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Interdisciplinary Treatment Landscape. Roundtable. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2013; (34)10:2-3.
• Mandelaris GA, Vence BS, Rosenfeld AL, Forbes DS. A Classification System for Crestal and Radicular Dentoalveolar Bone Phenotypes. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2013; 33: 289-296
• Ganeles J, Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld A. Implant Guidance for Implants. Advanced digital tools help improve accuracy, predictability. Inside Dentistry 2013; 9(4):96-101.
• Suttin Z, Rosenfeld A, Mandelaris GA, Towse R. Pre-Operative Visualization of Surgical Guide Instrumentation: A Proposed Protocol Improvement for CT Guided Dental Implant Surgery. Abstract presented at the 2013 Academy of Osseointegration.
• Testori T, Parenti A, Motroni A, Rinaldi M, Luongo G, Garrone R, Cocchetto R, Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld A, Robiony M. An evaluation of the accuracy and precision of a new guided surgery system: A Multicenter Study. Italian Oral Surgery 2012; 11(5)(SI):S187-200
• Califano JV, Rosenfeld AL, Mandelaris GA. A logical and progressive approach to CT guided implantology. Clin Adv Periodontics 2012; 2(4): 263-273
• Ganeles J, Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL, Rose LF. Implant Surgical Guides. Compend Cont Educ Dent 2011; 32(special issue 4):52-55
• Mandelaris GA, Lu M, Rosenfeld AL. The utilization of a xenogeneic collagen matrix as an interpositional soft tissue graft to enhance peri-implant soft tissue outcomes. A clinical case report and histologic analysis. Clin Adv Periodontics 2011; 1(3):193-198
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL, King S, Nevins ML. Computer guided implantology for precision implant positioning. Combining specialized stereolithographically generated drilling guides and surgical implant instrumentation. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2010;30(3):274-281.
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. Alternative applications to guided surgery. Precise outlining of the lateral window in antral sinus bone grafting. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2009; Suppl 3; 67:23-30
• Vence BS, Mandelaris GA, Forbes DP. Management of dentoalveolar ridge defects for implant site development: an interdisciplinary approach. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2009; (30)5:250-262
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL.A novel approach to the antral sinus bone graft technique for precise outlining of the lateral wall. A case report. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2008; 28(6):568-575.
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. The expanding influence of computed tomography and the application of computer-guided implantology. Prac Proced Aesthet Dent 2008; 20(5):297-306
• Rosenfeld AL, Mandelaris GA, Tardieu PB. Prosthetically directed implant placement using computer software to ensure precise placement and predictable prosthetic outcomes. Part III. Stereolithographic drilling guides that do not require bone exposure and the immediate delivery of teeth. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2006;26(5):493-499.
• Rosenfeld AL, Mandelaris GA, Tardieu PB. Prosthetically directed implant placement using computer software to ensure precise placement and predictable prosthetic outcomes. Part II. Rapid prototype medical modeling and stereolithographic drilling guides requiring bone exposure. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2006;26(4)347-353.
• Rosenfeld AL, Mandelaris GA, Tardieu PB. Prosthetically directed implant placement using computer software to ensure precise placement and predictable prosthetic outcomes. Part I. Diagnostics, imaging and collaborative accountability. Int J Perio Rest Dent 2006;26(3):215-221.
• Mandelaris GA. Rosenfeld AL. Is the technology trustworthy? Clinical transition from bone to tooth supported SurgiGuides. Materialise Headlines 2006.
• Mandelaris GA, Rosenfeld AL. The Use of Tooth-Supported SurgiGuides for Minimally Invasive Implant Placement in the Anterior Maxilla: A Novel Approach. Materialise Headlines 2004; 3:2-3.
• Mandelaris GA, Greenwell H, Drisko C, Mehlbauer MJ, Pickman K, Sheetz JP. The Effect of a Hydrogen Peroxide – Zinc Chloride Subgingival Lavage During Maintenance on the Bacterial Repopulation Rate. 1999 Annual Meeting Abstracts. J Periodontol 2000;71(7):1205.
• Mandelaris GA, Wang H-L, MacNeil RL. A Morphometric Analysis Of The Furcation Region Of Mandibular Molars. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1998; 19(2):113-120.
• Mandelaris GA, Wang H-L, MacNeil RL, Shyr Y, O’Neal RB. Cervical Enamel Projections in Mandibular Molars. Special Issue 1996 Abstracts. J Dent Res 75 (AADR Abstracts) 1996. #1557: page 143.
• Mandelaris GA, O’Neal RB, MacNeil RL, Shyr Y, Wang H-L. An Evaluation of Ultrasonic Scalers in Periodontal Maintenance Therapy. Special Issue 1995 Abstracts. J Dent Res 74 (AADR Abstracts) 1995. #961: page 132.